[Cryptography] Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sat Feb 21 19:08:44 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Baker
Subject: Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

> Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

On the consumer side it is certainly a waste of money, but on the recording
side it may not be. You would be amazed at some of the lengths that are gone
through to get the cleanest possible recording. A single degree change in
temperature can actually change the recording. Radio interference is a big
source. But also variations in power consumption can be a headache. The card
at least claims to address both.

Just to give you an idea how far we sometimes have to go. I have actually
run a system where the powered microphone was plugged into its own separate
car battery, the amplifier/ADC it was attached to had its own separate
battery, the USB hub was powered by its own battery, all connected to a
laptop that was to be run only from battery during recording. All this
because the [bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep] AC in the building was noisy,
the laptop-hub cable although shielded was becoming a broadcast antennae,
the amplifier/ADC is always extremely sensitive, the cable to the mic was
working as a reception antennae for the laptop-hub broadcast, and the mic
always has variable resistance consuming variable power inducing noise in
the amplifier. I would gladly have paid the $160 for this card on that day,
might have been able to eliminate half the setup.

Is it ideal? No. But it may be a needed solution for some environments.
                    Joe