[Cryptography] phishing attack again - $300m in losses?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 18 22:13:24 EST 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> I recently had an experience with just this attack; a well-meaning fool
> had put a "safety" feature on http accesses, and then when some evildoer
> wanted a site knocked off the network visible to the people whose access
> was subject to that safety feature, all he had to do was submit a bogus
> "attack software" report.

Just like the way some of the early DNSBLs operated (before they began to
be reputation-based): you had a grudge against someone, such as a
competitor or an ex-lover etc, you got them listed with bogus complaints.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)