[Cryptography] phishing attack again - $300m in losses?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Feb 18 19:38:17 EST 2015

On 02/16/2015 05:45 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> What we could do to start with a fix is to recognize the need for malware
> type filtering on all network connections and build in a standard socket to
> the stack for that purpose. So if anyone is going to http:://
> alwaysmalware.com/ they get a message back saying, 'oh no you are not'.

And then you have to have another round of security to prevent anyone
from DoSing a legitimate site by getting it put on that list which
your software is considering equal with alwaysmalware.com.

I recently had an experience with just this attack; a well-meaning
fool had put a "safety" feature on http accesses, and then when some
evildoer wanted a site knocked off the network visible to the people
whose access was subject to that safety feature, all he had to do
was submit a bogus "attack software" report.

				Bear