[Cryptography] Equation Group Multiple Malware Program, NSA Implicated

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Feb 18 21:06:31 EST 2015

At 02:30 PM 2/18/2015, Bill Frantz wrote:
>On 2/18/15 at 3:58 AM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:
>
>>On 17/02/2015 22:21 pm, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>>>Remember how the Navy Seals who took out OBL grabbed all the computers and USB sticks and such?
>>They clearly had training on what to look for and how to seize it in a way that didn't destroy the data.  And there are undoubtedly rooms full of people who work on extracting data from such seized devices.  They are part of the "cyber warfare" community, by any reasonable definition of the term.
>>
>>Yep.  I can imagine the Seals being told "the reason you are going in today is because someone somewhere past stole some digital data...  So time to pay it forward, guys: *bring back the data*.  More important than the body."

Dumping OBL's body may have been a mistake.  Unless they spent a lot of time looking it over, they may have missed a subcutaneous 64GB uSD card.

Of course, we don't _really_ know what happened to the body, do we?  (Someone in DC very likely has a little souvenir trinket somewhere in his desk drawer or on his key chain.)