[Cryptography] Equation Group Multiple Malware Program, NSA Implicated

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Feb 18 17:30:56 EST 2015

On 2/18/15 at 3:58 AM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:

>On 17/02/2015 22:21 pm, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>>Remember how the Navy Seals who took out OBL grabbed all the computers and USB sticks and such?
>They clearly had training on what to look for and how to seize
>it in a way that didn't destroy the data.  And there are
>undoubtedly rooms full of people who work on extracting data
>from such seized devices.  They are part of the "cyber warfare"
>community, by any reasonable definition of the term.
>
>Yep.  I can imagine the Seals being told "the reason you are
>going in today is because someone somewhere past stole some
>digital data...  So time to pay it forward, guys: *bring back
>the data*.  More important than the body."

In the case of OBL, the body is a hot potato. What is the proper
level of respect to give to it? The possibilities range from
mutilation to a state funeral. Leave that problem with the Pakistanis.

I would expect that standing orders for any FBI/Military/etc.
person is to grab the data. The ones with any likelihood of
actually being in a position to grab some data would get
training in how to keep it from self destruction.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | If the site is supported by  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | ads, you are the product.    | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032