[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Dec 21 22:26:24 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM, Patrick Chkoreff <patrick at rayservers.net>
wrote:

> Arnold Reinhold wrote on 12/17/2015 01:50 PM:
>
> > Perhaps the simplest option is a high quality deterministic RNG seeded
> > with an external source of entropy, such as dice.

> Right, or use a set of 16-sided dice.  I bought some a few years ago.

Why 16-side?
N-sides allows base N and conversion to any other interesting base would be
easy.
The only constraint is the dice needs to have sufficient symmetry that any
outcome
is equal to any other OR the distribution is well enough understood that
 adjustments
can be noted and compensated for (coin lands on an edge).
The important automation question is how quickly they settle and can be
read.

A three or five sided solid die could be a three or five sided spinning top
or other solid
that need not tile space or volume.

Interference from radio stations is interesting.   With the internet, audio
from near and
far could be blended and mined for bits.

An individual's method need not be one that others would trust but as long
as the individual
method is opaque and sufficient  to the application it has value.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l