[Cryptography] What should I put in notifications to NSA?

Allen allenpmd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 18:09:51 EST 2015

> What is "encryption"?  What is "encryption technology" ?

As I mentioned, these things are defined in 15 CFR Part 774.  From my
understanding, the gist of it is: if the software attempts to hide data to
keep it private, then it is classified as encryption software, subject to
some exceptions for certain uses and short key lengths, etc..  If it only
contains data assurance algorithms, like checksums, hashes, signatures,
etc, without hiding any of the data contents, and it is not modifiable by
the user, and probably a lot more and's, then it is not encryption
software.  If the code you just posted is applying a one-time-pad or
something similar, then I believe it would be classified as encryption
software.  I believe it might be possible to submit a "classification
request" if there is any uncertainty.  Note however that if your goal is
simply to mess with someone, they might well respond in kind.