[Cryptography] asymmetric attacks on crypto-protocols - the rough consensus attack

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Sun Aug 2 11:20:26 EDT 2015

On 1 August 2015 at 21:27, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a way to get around this?  I think this really puts a
> marker on the map - you simply can't do a security/crypto protocol under
> rough consensus in open committee, when there is an attacker out there
> willing to put in the resources to stop it.
>
> Thoughts?

My opinion is that the rough consensus can be counter-balanced by
"running code".  If the original group moves forward, deploys, gets
early adopters, shows it's working, and perhaps wonder-of-wonders gets
it picked up by one of the big behemoths that could jump-start
deployment (maybe Google, or Akamai, or CloudFlare) - well they can
document as an informational document at least.  And you can
interoperate with the folks who have deployed.

-tom