[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Sep 29 14:30:03 EDT 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 1:09 PM, John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:
>> I doubt it.  The attacks will be subtle, indirect, and well hidden.
>> An attempt at doing something in the open right now would produce a
>> firestorm and would almost certainly fail, which from the point of
>> view of the Peeping Tom Agencies (PTA's) would be worse than nothing.
>
> Subtle?  Not entirely subtle so far.  "What if Bin Laden kidnapped
> your child?  What then??????!!!!!!!"
These are the probes to see what the reaction will be.  It hasn't gone so well for them.  Orin Kerr started out with support, then backed off.  Ronald Hosko, a former assistant director at the FBI, wrote an op-ed piece at the Washington Post - and the Post had to twice go back and fix errors of fact, destroying the rationale for Hosko's complaints.  There are op-ed articles answering the outraged ones from the PTA side.  And many of the news articles, amazingly enough, talk to others besides their usual PTA contacts.

The open and public side isn't going so well for the PTA's.  The plotting and planning for the subtle side proceeds as we speak....

                                                        -- Jerry