[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Mon Sep 29 13:09:31 EDT 2014

In the context of:

On 09/19/2014 07:34 AM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> I doubt it.  The attacks will be subtle, indirect, and well hidden.
> An attempt at doing something in the open right now would produce a
> firestorm and would almost certainly fail, which from the point of
> view of the Peeping Tom Agencies (PTA's) would be worse than nothing.

Subtle?  Not entirely subtle so far.  "What if Bin Laden kidnapped
your child?  What then??????!!!!!!!"

  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/26/the-toughest-case-what-if-osama-bin-laden-had-an-iphone/

  http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/fbi-blasts-apple-google-for-locking-police-out-of-phones/2014/09/25/68c4e08e-4344-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

  http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/09/27/post-snowden-iphone-draws-ire-security-agencies/MZvz3yRM9xBjevI0ZzS6wJ/story.html

  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/technology/iphone-locks-out-the-nsa-signaling-a-post-snowden-era-.html?_r=0

  http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/09/18/expert-apple-is-making-life-more-difficult-for-cops/

  etc. etc. etc. etc.

This kind of PR operation creates political support (or at least
political cover) for legislation.

It looks like they want to fight this on all fronts.  They can do
subtle stuff and non-subtle stuff at the same time.  They can play
good cop / bad cop.

  "In the long run it is more important to secure one's own
  communications than to exploit those of the enemy."
                                  -- Frank Rowlett

  "Let's create a situation where are friends can be spied
  upon more easily than our enemies."
                                  -- NSA policy for 40+ years