[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Mon Sep 29 22:37:10 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 10:09 -0700, John Denker wrote:
> In the context of:
>
> >> I reckon we are now all set for a reprise of the Clipper-chip
> >> wars of the mid-1990s.  Legislation will be introduced to
> >> compel manufacturers to cripple their crypto....

[snip]

> Subtle?  Not entirely subtle so far.  "What if Bin Laden kidnapped
> your child?  What then??????!!!!!!!"

[snip]

> This kind of PR operation creates political support (or at least
> political cover) for legislation.

Except that the FBI has been calling attention to the so-called "going
dark" problem for years, and has failed to get much support.  The
Justice Department has been beating the "lawful interception" drum since
the clipper chip era, to no avail.  The legislation to cripple
cryptography has not materialized.  Why should we think it is any more
likely to materialize following the Snowden leak?

-- Ben