[Cryptography] distributing fingerprints etc. via QR codes etc.

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Sep 11 04:06:39 EDT 2014

> The main use case I'd like to see is sharing fingerprints (or keys)
> phone-to-phone. I recently went to a "keysigning party" (not expecting
> much) and left with a ton of paperwork to do, and I hate paperwork.
>
> I really wish I could just snag people's key (fingerprints) in QR code form.

I have half an application written that shares PGP keys over IP
multicast on the local area network (e.g. via a wifi access point).
It exchanges keys and lets you sign each others key and sends the
signed one back to the originator and such.  I got hung up when the
gpg program wouldn't actually implement its command line, demanding
that a human type things to it in order to sign keys.  When the
maintainer decided that that was a feature, not a bug, I gave up on
trying to make the program work, and never got back to it.  It's called
multisign.

It was designed to work for both large key-sharing parties, and for
pairs of individuals who want to grab and possibly sign each others'
keys.

It's in Python (attempting portable multiplatform Python2/Python3, but
that turned out to be amazingly hard -- as if it had never occured to
anyone to try doing it before).

Anybody want to mess with it?

	John