[Cryptography] distributing fingerprints etc. via QR codes etc.

Dominik Schuermann dominik at dominikschuermann.de
Tue Sep 9 15:22:47 EDT 2014

On 09/09/2014 04:05 AM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM, John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:
>
>> Let's talk about that.  Yes, it is possible to put contact
>> information and PGP information in QR codes on a business
>> card ... just not in the /same/ QR code AFAICT.  It ends up
>> being slightly non-obvious and slightly inelegant, but it
>> is doable.
>

> The main use case I'd like to see is sharing fingerprints (or keys)
> phone-to-phone. I recently went to a "keysigning party" (not expecting
> much) and left with a ton of paperwork to do, and I hate paperwork.
>
> I really wish I could just snag people's key (fingerprints) in QR code form.

I encourage you to try our open source app OpenKeychain [0]. It is far
from perfect and we like to improve the UI flow for key exchange and
certifications to get a more guided experience when exchanging keys, but
nevertheless, you can already exchange keys via NFC, QR Code, and a hash
commitment based approach by the SafeSlinger library. The SafeSlinger
approach is extremely comfortable for key signing parties, we just need
to implement the next step, that is certification of multiple keys,
which should be done directly after the exchange and import [1].

We like to hear feedback and suggestion regarding everything [2].

[0] http://www.openkeychain.org
[1] https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/issues/826
[2] https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/issues