[Cryptography] Almost decentralized currency

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Jun 24 07:19:46 EDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014 1:09 PM, "L. M. Goodman" <lmgoodman at hushmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/23/2014 at 9:38 PM, "Lodewijk andré de la porte" <l at odewijk.nl>
wrote:You're looking for ZeroReserve, which I keep mentioning! Maybe you
read something (from me?) about it? But you are a bit blockchain obsessed,
why do you need it once you have some trustable entities?

> I've looked at ZeroReserve. It seems to be using a social fork to build a
graph of credit line (similar to what Ripple does). This seems quite
different from what I'm suggesting, which is to use a social network as a
way to build a consensus resilient to Sybil attacks.

> The reason I'm suggesting the use of a blockchain is that if somehow a
malicious attacker takes control of the network, he cannot pull shenanigans
without being detected.

ZeroReserve moves beyond the need for global consensus. So yeah it's
different, but I suspect it solves the problem more. (It's also totally not
like Ripple!)

> It's a technology upon which you can based digital assets (such as a
currency, domain names, etc) not just liabilities.

Not sure there's a difference.