[Cryptography] Steganography and bringing encryption to a piece of paper

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Jul 18 21:06:04 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net>
wrote:

> > Let's imagine that there is a person who is a conlang hobbyist
> > and has a diary which he keeps in an entirely made-up language.
>
> The made up language works for a personal diary, but it would not have
> solved the problem for my mother (and mostly my grandfather). They needed
> to send messages that would not be flagged by the censors. A language that
> censors did not understand was sure to draw the attention of the Gestapo!

This is important ! ....   communicating without drawing attention to
yourself and
your recipient is a difficult topic.

 a)   Meta data is a critical tool on the modern stage and would be
troubling if a modern Gestapo lived at either end or in the middle.  It
always has been but today it is so all encompassing that the mind boggles.

 b)   If everyone communicated with modern well encrypted messages there
would be little need for steganography. except for the issues that a) above
exposes.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l