[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Jan 16 10:28:40 EST 2014

Punishing RSA is work for bloodthirsty media and its fans. Public
crypto needs much better to offer the public than entertaining
evanescent revenge.

3DES is intriguing. Publicizing a list of other well-tested ciphersystems
would be constructive alternatives to "nothing can be done, authority always
wins." Public loss of trust in any comsec and crypto is ever present.

As a consumer, I want you to give me something useable and reliable
for ordinary use not weapons-grade illusion of infallibility. Ban the use
of "unbreakable." Stop tinkering with old reliable OTP with digital
simulacra. Stop blaming users for faulty implementation.

Civil engineers never say a dam is infallible, they say it will fail, watch
for well-known weak spots, prepare to patch and maintain continuously,
and never forget the disasters of over-confidence, limited construction
budgets, cut backs in maintenance, and water policy exploiters.

Earthen dams without sluices, relying upon mass and gravity, outlast
reinforced concrete "monoliths" perforated with umpteen ways to
monetize the water flow, nowadays usually to run more server farms
near hydropower facilities.

I'd like an earthen dam crypto tool I can watch myself for leaks.
I got PGP 2.6. Anything better that is not reliant up commercially
biased assurances?

BTW, why is PGP Inc and IBM Inc not being bashed like RSA Inc?