[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Jan 16 01:26:37 EST 2014

At 12:48 PM 1/15/2014, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>What then should we do about all the folk clinging to 3DES? How
>about the people who stuck with MD5? How about the people who have
>not junked SHA-1?

Ignoring Phill's perfectly reasonable main point, what's wrong with 3DES?
Sure, it's clunky, takes lots of bit-twiddling, is a good bit slower
and larger than AES, and only gives you ~112 bits of security for
your 168 bits of keys, but is there anything wrong with it other than
being not as good as some of the alternatives?  (Ok, and maybe a bit
of power analysis risk, depending on your implementation.)  It's not
like MD5 where there are theoretical attacks that make it much weaker?