[Cryptography] "Re: [cryptography] STARTTLS for HTTP"

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 14:05:02 EDT 2014

> I don't think so.  Type "browser market share" into your favorite search
> engine.  None of those lines appear horizontal.  Unless you're arguing that
> the variance doesn't matter?  That's more open to interpretation I guess,
> but I'd still say you're wrong.  And what also matters, greatly, is that
> the browser makes thing is important, what they think the "competition" is
> doing, and what they think their users want.

Given the lack of any public study as to the psychology behind browser
choice, I suspect there's a core of followers that sticks to each browser.

In my opinion, Chrome is best for security (but it gets memory heavy if you
don't close enough tabs). Opera is best for baked in features. Firefox is
best it's add-on community (they fixed the memory leaks, but they keep
superficially increasing the version number). The only changes occur when
people change their own preferences. Not as a result of Browser features.
[obligatory crypto comment] Chrome has ChaCha20 for google websites,
reducing processer cycles spent on crypto. The great question of the day is
do people actually understand the relationship between cryptography and
battery life? It won't change speed of page load, unless the person is
using gigabit internet and uses triple-DES crypto.

Besides, the browser competition ended when IE added tabs. Tabs were a true
revolution.