[Cryptography] Is it time for a revolution to replace TLS?

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Apr 18 17:18:42 EDT 2014

On 18/04/2014 18:22 pm, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 4:16 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org
> <mailto:iang at iang.org>> wrote:
>
>     It's not that far away, we already know how to do competitions, e.g.,
>     CAESAR.
>

> I have thought about suggesting a CAESAR-like competition here, but it's
> a vast area that should, IMO, be broken down into smaller, independent,
> interoperable parts.
>
> We have at least 4 contests here, I think:
>
> 1) Better transport encryption (Tcpcrypt is already tackling this)
> 2) Better key exchange (Tcpcrypt is also tackling this)
> 3) A better certificate format
> 4) A better system for authenticating/revoking keys (e.g. Convergence,
> Tack, CT)

I actually thought I knew how to break it up and impose some stability
to the chaos too.  Until people started breaking my model.  Here on this
group a few months ago, under the subject line TLS2, if memory serves.

Then I realised that actually there is too much complexity here, and any
attempt to impose structure is going to limit the finding of a solution.

So my current favourite is:  no rules, no holds barred.  Replace TLS,
take your best shot.  Votes from all, drinks at 7.  Start your state
engines, gentlebodies.

iang