[Cryptography] TLS/DTLS Use Cases

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sat Apr 5 19:30:26 EDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Bill Stewart <billstewart at pobox.com> wrote:
> At 03:57 PM 4/1/2014, ianG wrote:
>> In contrast:  web aka HTTP is a request-response protocol, being sliced
>> into a request datagram and a response datagram.  Efforts abound to
>> layer more RR pairs or datagrams over the top of connections with
>> keepalives and so forth which may answer why TLS was confused about its
>> use cases, or may not....  Not a pretty site.
>
> HTTP stopped being a datagram-like application when AJAX and streaming video
> became popular.

Add WebSocket and it's back to being datagram-like.

In so far as AJAX pages make lots of small requests and get small

Also, HTTP is just about the worst datagram protocol ever.  There's no
XID, so responses have to be sent in the same order as requests over
any one keptalive TCP connection.  Yuck.  (When I've brought this up
in the context of HTTPbis I've been told to go away.)

Nico