[Cryptography] TLS/DTLS Use Cases

Bear bear at sonic.net
Tue Apr 8 15:12:54 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 18:23 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:

> Also, HTTP is just about the worst datagram protocol ever.  There's no
> XID, so responses have to be sent in the same order as requests over
> any one keptalive TCP connection.  Yuck.  (When I've brought this up
> in the context of HTTPbis I've been told to go away.)

To be fair, keep-alive was not part of the design.  Http was initially
a completely stateless protocol, and actually a fairly well designed
one.  The reason keep-alive is not well supported is because it's got
nothing to do with the original design and was bolted on as an
afterthought.

Is there a take-home lesson there?  Only that if we engage in elegant
design we should not trust those who come after us not to screw it up.