[Cryptography] Thoughts about keys

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Sep 5 19:32:33 EDT 2013

On 2013-09-06 00:04:07 +0200 (+0200), Ilja Schmelzer wrote:
[...]
> The point is another:  a 512 bit hash as a personal id is
> something acceptable for average people and will not prevent them
> from using it. These average people do not have to care that much
> about such attacks.  Those few who have to be afraid of more
> dangerous attackers can as well learn their own id, or write it on
> their business card.
[...]

Right, so I guess we're talking about different sets of risk
factors. In the global free software community the proliferation of
OpenPGP is more for the benefit of authenticating signed
announcements and software release artifacts, less about privacy and
anonymity (though some of that does come into play when
communicating embargoed security vulnerability information).
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi at cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );