[Cryptography] FIPS, NIST and ITAR questions

james hughes hughejp at mac.com
Tue Sep 3 16:06:20 EDT 2013

"Hashes aren't ITAR covered" is a fact….  from "Revised U.S. Encryption Export Control Regulations, January 2000" at
	http://epic.org/crypto/export_controls/regs_1_00.html

> 3. It was not the intent of the new Wassenaar language for ECCN 5A002 to be more restrictive concerning Message Authentication Codes (MAC). "Data authentication equipment that calculates a Message Authentication Code (MAC) or similar result to ensure no alteration of text has taken place, or to authenticate users, but does not allow for encryption of data, text or other media other than that needed for the authentication" continues to be excluded from control under 5A002. These commodities are controlled under ECCN 5A992.

further, ECCN 5A992 is separated from the "high-functioning encryption" as follows. From
	http://www.governmentcontractslawblog.com/2008/11/articles/export-controls/encryption-export-restrictions-loosened-under-new-rules-that-reduce-prereview-and-reporting-requirements/

> Under the EAR, encryption items, which includes software, technology, and hardware incorporating encryption technology, generally fall into two categories:
>
> Ø      Export Commodity Classification Number ("ECCN") 5A002/5D002, for certain enumerated, high-functioning encryption products and software; and
>
> Ø      ECCN 5A992/5D992, for all other encryption items.
>
> Generally speaking, 5A992/5D992 products can be shipped without delay anywhere in the world (except for Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) as No License Required ("NLR").

Clear (as mud)?