[Cryptography] Passwords are dying - get over it

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Dec 25 15:16:58 EST 2013

On Dec 23, 2013 7:39 AM, "Bill Cox" <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> It bothers me that I get more security from carrying a metal key to a
physical lock than I can get online.  Maybe I'll put a key file on my phone
and try to be a bit more secure with my TrueCrypt password safe.  I
certainly can't count on just their key stretching.

> How would you recommend protecting your ssh private key?

I carry mine on my keyring, on a gnupg smartcard in a gemalto shell. I also
use it for X.509 auth via scute. If you want something cheaper and slightly
less tamper-proof, get a Gnuk token. Both are USB only; I'm guessing Google
will use something like the Yubikey Neo, which supports NFC, for their
password elimination master plan.

What's wrong with this approach? It is analogous to what everyone does for
physical security already.