[Cryptography] Passwords are dying - get over it

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon Dec 23 11:22:52 EST 2013

On 23 Dec 2013 at 9:10, Kent Borg wrote:

> Google seems to have the biggest head of steam by trying to become the
> single sign-in for everything else, and then, because they are so
> important they can force you to carry a Bsafe fob, or something like
> that.  Actually, they probably won't go for a fob...

Interesting -- i'm probably the only person on the planet *without* a
google account [and I try pretty hard to block google's tracking cookies
-- it never knows where I am and never has any suggestions from past
searches].  FB tries the same thing: with a lot of sites trying to get
you to log in with your FB account.

For me, sorting that out is easy: I have my own domain and I just make up
a new email address within the domain for each site that wants me to log
in, and then I have pwsafe generate a new/random 16-char password.
AFAIK, so far, that seems to keep my cross-site information pretty
isolated.  [running a couple of tracking and ad blockers in FF helps].

Is it really inevitable that all of your information will get tied
together and you'll be completely tracked and cataloged no matter what
you do?

   /bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA