Obama administration revives Draconian communications intercept plans

Josh Rubin jlrubin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:41:37 EDT 2010

  On 9/28/2010 1:47 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>    Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that
>>    enable communications — including encrypted e-mail transmitters like
>>    BlackBerry, social networking Web sites like Facebook and software
>>    that allows direct “peer to peer” messaging like Skype — to be
>>    technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The
>>    mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble
>>    encrypted messages.
> Isn't this just a clarification of existing CALEA practice?
>
> In most jurisdictions, if a communications services provider is served
> an order to make available communications, it is required by law to
> provide it in the clear.  Anything else doesn't make sense, does it?
> Service providers generally acknowledge this (including Research In
> Motion, so I don't get why they are singled out in the article).
>
> <SNIP>
This post from the IETF Wiretapping list [RAVEN] from October, 1999
may be relevant to the discussion.

Should Tin Cans and String comply with CALEA?
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/raven/current/msg00007.html

The question has special significance to me as proprietor of
tincansandstring.net
--
Josh Rubin
jlrubin at tincansandstring.net