Something you have, something else you have, and, uh, something else you have

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Sep 17 19:43:33 EDT 2010

> I don't know how NZ banks do it; in the US, they use the phone
> number you're calling from.  Yes, it's spoofable, but most folks (a)
> don't know it, and (b) don't know how.

No, they don't use the phone number to validate anything.  I routinely
ignore the instructions to "call from your home phone".  I call in from
random payphones to "activate" my cretin cards, and they activate just
fine.

Perhaps there's a database record made somewhere with the phone number
of that payphone -- but the card is active, and I could be stealing
money from it immediately.

Note also that their ability to get that phone number depends on the
FCC exemption that allows 800-numbers to bypass caller-ID blocking.
If the FCC ever comes to its senses (I know, unlikely) then making
somebody call an 800-number will not even produce a phone number.

	John