Haystack redux

Jim Youll jim at cr-labs.com
Wed Sep 15 22:32:11 EDT 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Adam Fields wrote:

> I find it hard to believe that even the most uninformed dissidents
> would be using an untested, unaudited, _beta_, __foreign__ new service
> for anything. Is there any reason to believe otherwise? My first guess
> would have been that it was a government-sponsored honeypot, and I bet
> they're far more suspicious than I am.

Perhaps people are more hopeful than suspicious.

"Haystack" [1] had the apparent "approval" of the US State Department (no friends of the Iranian government), a pretty web page, major donors, coverage in all the mainstream press, an "award" in the UK, and lots of other stuff that demonstrated credibility. Gotta trust someone. Who you gonna trust? The guys with all that cred, or, say... me?

---

[1] given Daniel Colascione's statements, we may have to quote this thing as it was test code, not what he intended to release.