Intel plans crypto-walled-garden for x86

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Sep 14 17:57:05 EDT 2010

On 9/13/10 at 8:58 PM, gnu at toad.com (John Gilmore) wrote:

>Intel's Paul
>Otellini framed it as an effort to move the way the company approaches
>security "from a known-bad model to a known-good model."

Does that include monetary indemnity when the "known-good" turns
out to be bad? I bet not.

If we could "know good", security would be a lot easier, but
nobody has a clue how to actually achieve that knowledge.

>Let me guess -- to run anything but Windows, you'll soon have
>to jailbreak even laptops and desktop PC's?

I expect Steve Jobs will get them to approve MacOS too.

For the rest, there's always AMD.

Cheers - Bill