Debian encouraging use of 4096 bit RSA keys

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Sep 14 11:01:22 EDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> The decision that 1024 bit keys are inadequate for code signing is
> likely reasonable. The idea that 2048 bits and not something between
> 1024 bits and 2048 bits is a reasonable minimum is perhaps arguable.
> One wonders what security model indicated 4096 bits is the ideal
> length....

Key lifetime in Debian can be very long, 10 to 15 years.

I'd appreciate some input from this list about the Debian bias towards 4096
RSA main keys, instead of DSA2 (3072-bit) keys.  Is it justified?

These keys are used as KSK, as gpg will happily attach subkeys to them
for the grunt work...

  Henrique Holschuh