Intel to also add RNG

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Jul 12 13:13:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:22:51PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> BTW, let me note that if Intel wanted to gimmick their chips to make
> them untrustworthy, there is very little you could do about it. The
> literature makes it clear at this point that short of carefully
> tearing apart and analyzing the entire chip, you're not going to catch
> subtle behavioral changes designed to allow attackers backdoor
> access. Given that, I see little reason not to trust them on an RNG,
> and I wish they would make it a standard part of the architecture
> already.

I think it's important to make the distinction between trusting Intel
not to have made it actively malicious, and trusting them to have
gotten it perfectly correct in such a way that it cannot fail.
Fortunately, the second problem, that it is a well-intentioned but
perhaps slightly flawed RNG [*], could be easily alleviated by feeding
the output into a software CSPRNG (X9.31, a FIPS 186-3 design, take
your pick I guess). And the first could be solved by also feeding your
CSPRNG with anything that you would have fed it with in the absense of
the hardware RNG - in that case, you're at least no worse off than you
were before. (Unless your PRNG's security can be negatively affected
by non-random or maliciously chosen inputs, in which case you've got
larger problems).

-Jack

[*] Even if it were perfectly designed, it seems plausible to me that
manufacturing defects and/or any number of runtime problems (age,
overheating, bad voltage control, cosmic rays, dirty power, etc, etc)
might cause subtle failures/biases that might be difficult to detect
reliably; I would personally be dubious of using any hardware RNGs
output directly for this reason.