/dev/random and virtual systems

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 3 12:03:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:17:42 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh at debian.org> wrote:
> Desktops with live-CDs and half-assed embedded boxes that lack a
> TRNG are the real problem.

I'm not sure what to do about the live CD problem, but in a previous
iteration of this discussion a couple of years ago, I proposed that
using a strong cipher (like AES) with a key installed at the factory
was probably the right solution to the $40 embedded device problem. I
can dig up my much longer exposition on that if anyone wishes.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com