/dev/random and virtual systems

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Aug 2 19:17:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> the interesting thread on seeding and reseeding /dev/random did not
> mention that many of the most problematic systems in this respect
> are virtual machines. Such machines (when used for "cloud

Any decent hypervisor can supply entropy to the VMs.  For about
US$100/hypervisor you add a slow speed (less than 1Mbit/s) TRNG, or you
can get a high-speed one for around US$ 1000/hypervisor, and distribute
the entropy for all VMs.  It is very cost-effective.

Datacenters are easy, you can just buy a few low power VIA PadLock boxes
and have them distribute several Mbit/s of entropy over the network.
You can have at least 2 of them per 1U, or a lot more for custom
designs or piled up in 2U using a shelf.

You don't need entropy to use assymetric crypto to authenticate, receive
an encripted session key, and proceed to receive an encripted stream, so
the network and a cluster of entropy boxes is usable for initial seeding
as well.

Desktops with live-CDs and half-assed embedded boxes that lack a TRNG
are the real problem.

> In addition to the mitigations that were discussed on the list, such
> machines could benefit from seeding /dev/random (or periodically
> reseeding it) from the *host machine's* RNG. This is one thing
> that's guaranteed to be different between VM instances. So my
> question to the list: is this useful? Is this doable with popular
> systems (e.g. Linux running on VMWare or VirtualBox)? Is this
> actually being done?

It is done, yes.  I am not sure how out-of-the-box that is, but there
are Linux kernel drivers to get entropy from the hypervisor.

  Henrique Holschuh