CSPRNG algorithms

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri May 1 05:54:54 EDT 2009

>I have never seen a good catalog of computationally-strong
>pseudo-random number generators.

Chapter 3 of Knuth's TAOCP is all about pseudo-random number
generators, starting with a fine example of the wrong way to do it.
My copy is several thousand miles away but my recollection is that his
main advice was to stick to linear congruential PRNGs, perhaps with a
buffered postpass to scramble up the order or the results.

It's certainly a good place to start.

R's,
John

[Moderator's note: none of the generators in TAOCP are cryptographically
strong. They are fine for Monte Carlo simulations and such. --Perry]