CSPRNG algorithms

William Soley William.Soley at Sun.COM
Fri May 1 05:01:06 EDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Travis wrote:
> [...] would people like to help me create one by
> emailing me references to extant PRNG definitions?

This paper describes the architecture of a prototype I built at Sun
back in 1995 for a random number generating service that ran in user
land.  It went through a couple revisions, and eventually got ported
to the kernel in Solaris 10.

<http://wikis.sun.com/download/attachments/100794535/CryptoRand-
Soley96.pdf>

The revisions since the paper were fairly minor: using a bigger
entropy pool, improving the entropy estimation algorithm, and
tweaking the bleed function.  I am not sure what changes were made
when it was ported to the kernel as I was not directly involved.
Unfortunately, the details of the revisions are only documented in
the source code.

Kind regards,

-Bill