[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS key management, part 2: Tahoe-LAFS is like encrypted git

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Aug 19 12:11:31 EDT 2009

On Wednesday,2009-08-19, at 10:05 , Jack Lloyd wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:28:45AM -0600, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
>
>> [*] Linus Torvalds got the idea of a Cryptographic Hash Function
>> Directed Acyclic Graph structure from an earlier distributed
>> revision control tool named Monotone.
>
> OT trivia: The idea actually predates either monotone or git;
> opencm (http://opencm.org/docs.html) was using a similiar technique
> for VCS access control a year or two prior to monotone's first
> release.

Note that I didn't say Monotone invented it.  :-)  Graydon Hoare of
Monotone got the idea from a friend of his who, as far as we know,
came up with it independently.  I personally got it from Eric Hughes
who came up with it independently.  I think OpenCM got it from the
Xanadu project who came up with it independently.  :-)

Regards,

Zooko