Client Certificate UI for Chrome?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 6 08:49:17 EDT 2009

Ben Laurie <benl at google.com> writes:

>So, I've heard many complaints over the years about how the UI for
>client certificates sucks. Now's your chance to fix that problem -
>we're in the process of thinking about new client cert UI for Chrome,
>and welcome any input you might have. Obviously fully-baked proposals
>are more likely to get attention than vague suggestions.

This is predicated on the assumption that it's possible to make certificates
usable for general users.  All the empirical evidence we have to date seems to
point to this not being the case.  Wouldn't it be better to say "What can we
do to replace certificates with something that works?", for example TLS-SRP
or TLS-PSK?

Peter.