Protocol Construction WAS Re: Fast MAC algorithms?

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sun Aug 2 08:46:12 EDT 2009

From: "Ray Dillinger" <bear at sonic.net>
Subject: Re: Fast MAC algorithms?

> I mean, I get it that crypto is rarely the weakest link in a secured
> application.  Still, why are folk always designing and adopting
> cryptographic tools for the next decade or so instead of for the
> next few centuries?

Because we have no idea how to do that. If you were to ask 6 months ago we
would've said AES-256 will last at least a decade, probably 50 years. A few
years before that we were saying that SHA-1 is a great cryptographic hash.
Running the math a few years ago I determined that with the trajectory of
cryptographic research it would've been necessary to create a well over
1024-bit hash with behaviors that are perfect by todays knowledge just to
last a human lifetime, since then the trajectory has changed significantly
and the same exercise today would probably result in 2000+ bits,
extrapolating the trajectory of the trajectory, the size would be entirely
unacceptable. So, in short, collectively we have no idea how to make
something secure for that long.

> So far, evidence supports the idea that the stereotypical Soviet
> tendency to overdesign might have been a better plan after all,
> because the paranoia about future discoveries and breaks that motivated
> that overdesign is being regularly proven out.

And that is why Kelsey found an attack on GOST, and why there is a class of
weak keys. That is the problem, all future attacks are rather by definition
a surprise.

> This is fundamental infrastructure now!  Crypto decisions now
> support the very roots of the world's data, and the cost of altering
> and reversing them grows ever larger.

By scheduling likely times for upgrades the prices can be assessed better,
scheduled better, and works far better for business than the "OH ****. OUR
**** IS BROKEN" experience that always results from trying to plan for
longer than a few years at a time. It is far cheaper to build within the
available knowledge, and design for a few years.

> If you can deploy something once, even something that uses three
> times as many rounds or key bits as you think now that you need,

Neither of those is a strong indicator of security. AES makes a great
example, AES-256 has more rounds than AES-128, AES-256 has twice as many key
bits as AES-128, and AES-256 has more attacks against it than AES-128. An
increasing number of attack types are immune to the number of rounds, and
key bits has rarely been a real issue.

There is no way predicting the far future of cryptography, it is hard enough
to predict the reasonably near future.
                    Joe