Fast MAC algorithms?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Aug 1 16:55:17 EDT 2009

I recommend Poly1305 by DJB or VMAC by Ted Krovetz and Wei Dai.  Both
are much faster than HMAC and have security proven in terms of an
underlying block cipher.

VMAC is implemented in the nice Crypto++ library by Wei Dai, Poly1305
is implemented by DJB and is also in the new nacl library by DJB.

http://cryptopp.com/benchmarks-amd64.html

Says that VMAC(AES)-64 takes 0.6 cycles per byte (although watch out
for that 3971 cycles to set up key and IV), compared to HMAC-SHA1
taking 11.2 cycles per byte (after 1218 cycles to set up key and IV).

If you do any measurement comparing Poly1305 to VMAC, please report
your measurement, at least to me privately if not to the list.  I can
use that sort of feedback to contribute improvements to the Crypto++
library.  Thanks!

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn
---