RIM to give in to GAK in India

Dave Korn dave.korn at artimi.com
Tue May 27 15:08:11 EDT 2008

Florian Weimer wrote on 27 May 2008 18:49:

> * Dave Korn:
>
>>>    In a major change of stance, Canada-based Research In Motion (RIM)
>>>    may allow the Indian government to intercept non-corporate emails
>                                                    ********************
>>>    sent over BlackBerrys.
>

>>   Research In Motion (RIM), the Canadian company behind the BlackBerry
>>   handheld, has refused to give the Indian government special access to
>                                                         **************
>>   its encrypted email services.   [ ... ]
>>
>>   According to the Times of India, the company said in a statement:
>>
>>     The BlackBerry security architecture for enterprise customers is
>                                                ********************
>>   purposefully designed to exclude the capability for RIM or any third
>>   party to read encrypted information under any circumstances. We regret
>
>>   [  Hmm, two contradictory stories, whoever woulda thunk it?  There's
>> probably some politicking going on, mixed up with marketeering and
>> FUD-spinning.  ]
>
> If you look closely, there's no contradiction.

  Well spotted.  Yes, I guess that's what Jim Youll was asking.  And I
should have said "seemingly-contradictory".  This is, of course, what I
meant by "marketeering": when someone asks if your service is insecure and
interceptable, you don't say "Yes, our ordinary service will give you up to
the filth at the drop of a hat", you spin it as "No, our enterprise service
is completely secure [...other details elided...]".

    cheers,
      DaveK