RIM to give in to GAK in India

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com
Tue May 27 17:05:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 08:08:11PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>   Well spotted.  Yes, I guess that's what Jim Youll was asking.  And I
> should have said "seemingly-contradictory".  This is, of course, what I
> meant by "marketeering": when someone asks if your service is insecure and
> interceptable, you don't say "Yes, our ordinary service will give you up to
> the filth at the drop of a hat", you spin it as "No, our enterprise service
> is completely secure [...other details elided...]".

But this is not news. It is well known (at least among the Enterprise
Remote Computing wonks) that only the Enterprise RIM service provides
"end-to-end" security, while the consumer service does not. There is
nothing new here. It is not even marketing spin, without your IT shop
hosting your content, it is hosted by providers subject to CALEA, ...

The good news about RIM is that it has been one of the few devices that
actually provides end-to-end security for Enterprises. This has been a
selling point that helped get them a large share of the Enterprise market.

--
	Viktor.