RIM to give in to GAK in India

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue May 27 13:48:49 EDT 2008

* Dave Korn:

>>    In a major change of stance, Canada-based Research In Motion (RIM)
>>    may allow the Indian government to intercept non-corporate emails
                                                   ********************
>>    sent over BlackBerrys.

>   Research In Motion (RIM), the Canadian company behind the BlackBerry
>   handheld, has refused to give the Indian government special access to
                                                        **************
>   its encrypted email services.   [ ... ]
>
>   According to the Times of India, the company said in a statement:
>
>     The BlackBerry security architecture for enterprise customers is
                                               ********************
>   purposefully designed to exclude the capability for RIM or any third
>   party to read encrypted information under any circumstances. We regret

>   [  Hmm, two contradictory stories, whoever woulda thunk it?  There's
> probably some politicking going on, mixed up with marketeering and
> FUD-spinning.  ]

If you look closely, there's no contradiction.  Non-enterprise customers
don't run their own gateway, so RIM just acts as a telco, which
naturally has got access to all the data.  The Indian government doesn't
need "special access", either, because Lawful Intercept services etc.
aren't that special anymore.