RIM to give in to GAK in India

Dave Korn dave.korn at artimi.com
Tue May 27 12:21:22 EDT 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote on 27 May 2008 16:14:

> Excerpt:
>
>    In a major change of stance, Canada-based Research In Motion (RIM)
>    may allow the Indian government to intercept non-corporate emails
>    sent over BlackBerrys.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Telecom/Govt_may_get_keys_to_your_BlackB
erry_mailbox_soon/articleshow/3041313.cms

> Hat tip: Bruce Schneier's blog.

  Although on the other hand:

Excerpt:

  Research In Motion (RIM), the Canadian company behind the BlackBerry
  handheld, has refused to give the Indian government special access to
  its encrypted email services.   [ ... ]

  According to the Times of India, the company said in a statement:

    The BlackBerry security architecture for enterprise customers is
  purposefully designed to exclude the capability for RIM or any third
  party to read encrypted information under any circumstances. We regret
  any concern prompted by incorrect speculation or rumours and wish to
  assure customers that RIM is committed to continue serving security-
  conscious business in the Indian market.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/27/indian_gov_blackberry_blackball/

  [  Hmm, two contradictory stories, whoever woulda thunk it?  There's
probably some politicking going on, mixed up with marketeering and
FUD-spinning.  ]

    cheers,
      DaveK