Why the poor uptake of encrypted email? [Was: Re: Secrets and cell phones.]

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Dec 10 22:22:56 EST 2008

     --

StealthMonger wrote:
 > This may help to explain the poor uptake of encrypted
 > email.

There is very good uptake of skype and ssh, because
those impose no or very little additional cost on the
end user. Secret management is almost furtively sneaked
in on the back of other tasks.

 > It would be useful to know exactly what has been
 > discovered.  Can you provide references?

It is informal knowledge.

A field has references when it is a science, or
attempting to become a science, or pretending to become
a science.  Security is not yet even an art.

Cryptography is an art that dubiously pretends to
science, but the weak point of course is interaction of
humans with the cryptography, in which area we have not
even the pretense of art.