flavors of reptile lubricant, was Another Snake Oil Candidate

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Thu Sep 13 16:32:04 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

My last comment on this. I've stated my own personal opinion and
anyone is free to disagree.

On Sep 13, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Ali, Saqib wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2007 13:45:42 -0000, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>> I always understood snake oil crypto to refer to products that
>> were of
>> no value to anyone, e.g., products that claim to have secret
>> unbreakable encryption, million bit keys, or "one time pads" produced
>> by PRNGs.
>
> hear hear!
>
> I think in the zeal for criticism of the IronDrive, folks have
> expanded the definition of Snake Oil to include "All" security
> products.
>
> I don't like the "Military Grade AES Encryption" phrase that IronDrive
> uses on their website, cause that implies they know what Military is
> using. Maybe somebody should notify DoD that these IronDrive folks
> know what Military uses to encrypt info ;-)
>
> But other then that I don't see any Snake Oil Crypto like
> techno-babble used by IronDrive Marketing.

I don't know if a product has to meet m of n criteria as stated in
<http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/snake-oil-faq.html>, but,
IMO, IronKey meets the following criteria: Technobabble, Experienced
Security Experts, "Military Grade" and to a certain extend
Unbreakability (normally applied to software, but IronKey claims the
epoxy prevents "criminals from getting to the internal hardware
components").

Respectfully,
Aram Perez