flavors of reptile lubricant, was Another Snake Oil Candidate

Ali, Saqib docbook.xml at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:33:10 EDT 2007

On 13 Sep 2007 13:45:42 -0000, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
> I always understood snake oil crypto to refer to products that were of
> no value to anyone, e.g., products that claim to have secret
> unbreakable encryption, million bit keys, or "one time pads" produced
> by PRNGs.

hear hear!

I think in the zeal for criticism of the IronDrive, folks have
expanded the definition of Snake Oil to include "All" security
products.

I don't like the "Military Grade AES Encryption" phrase that IronDrive
uses on their website, cause that implies they know what Military is
using. Maybe somebody should notify DoD that these IronDrive folks
know what Military uses to encrypt info ;-)

But other then that I don't see any Snake Oil Crypto like
techno-babble used by IronDrive Marketing.

saqib
http://security-basics.blogspot.com/