New DoD encryption mandate

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Aug 20 09:19:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 05:21:16PM -0700, Alex Alten wrote:

> Agreed, for most requirements.  Sometimes one may need to keep keys
> in trusted hardware only.  The only real fly-in-the-ointment is that current
> hash algorithms (SHA-1, SHA-2, etc.) don't scale across multiple CPU
> cores (assuming you need integrity along with your privacy).

The basic algorithms don't but you can easily enough use multiple CPUs
with a hash tree or hash list. I'd also guess that in many cases you'd
want to hash many files, which offers easy parallelism by spawning a
pool of threads that work off a series of files. If you can afford a
patent license for PMAC, that would work as well.

-Jack