Skype new IT protection measure

Ed Gerck edgerck at nma.com
Thu Aug 16 18:38:27 EDT 2007

We've heard it so many times: "There's nothing to worry about."
Now, Skype adds a new IT protection measure -- "love":

  "The Skype system has not crashed or been victim of a cyber
  attack. We love our customers too much to let that happen."

Of course, these two phrases are a non sequitur. No amount of
a company's "love" for customers will prevent their IT system from
crashing or hackers from attacking and being successful. At the
very least, Skype is making users uneasy with such statements.

What's happening, and that's why Skype wrote about "love", is
that Skype users worldwide cannot call or hear voicemail for
many hours now.

The visible error is that users cannot login -- hence can't call,
etc. While this could understandable, what is not understandable
is Skype's love declaration.

BTW, one may wonder what is really happening. Any other reports?

Cheers,
Ed Gerck