NSA knows who you've called.

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri May 12 16:22:30 EDT 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, dan at geer.org wrote:

> alan writes:
> -+----------
> |
> | Probably because most Americans believe they are being spied on
> | anyways.  (And have for a very long time.)
> |

> Au contraire', it is precisely what, for example,
> my spouse would say: "I live a decent life and have
> nothing to hide."

I ask people who say they have nothing to hide for their credit card
numbers.

Everyone has something to hide.

The point is that you do not have to have done *anything* to be worried.
How do you know that your name is not a known alias of some evil nasty
terrorist who buggers FBI agents in his spare time?

> As this and all security-related lists are composed
> of people who are off-center when it comes to risk,
> it is us what be the outliers in the distribution
> and in no way are our various paranoias widely shared.

The question is "should they be?".

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis