NSA knows who you've called.

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri May 12 09:58:42 EDT 2006

dan at geer.org writes:
> While I agree with you, the public does not,
> so far as I can tell, find itself willing to
> risk insecurity for the benefit of preserving
> privacy, as this article in today's Boston
> Globe would tend to confirm.

I'm sure. On the other hand, I think it is our place, as security
professionals, to explain why the tradeoff is a false one. Respect for
individual rights is not something we do in good times because it is a
luxury we can afford when there is stability. It is something we need
most in bad times, because it is what keeps us safe and maintains
stability itself.

Perry